My Doc is a Rockstar!

 

By now it’s 2012 and I’m meeting with the Gyn/Oncologist for the first time. 


I wanted to know more about this Gyn/Onc and he was happy to tell me about himself.  He also mentioned that he was a musician. I asked if he was a hobbyist musician - because that’s a very Portland thing to be.  


He proceeded to tell me about his band - made up of all Gyn/Oncs from across the United States. They had met at a conference for Gyn/Oncs. Something happened at the conference where the entertainment failed to show up, and the organizers of the event asked if anyone had any talents to fill the gap. Turns out there were 6 musicians that volunteered. They all got together and practiced a few songs to perform on stage for the rest of the conference goers.  They had such a great time they decided to continue to meet up in person and via Skype. They call themselves N.E.D. (No Evidence of Disease) and they primarily perform at charity events bringing awareness of gynecological cancers.  They have at least two albums out now as well as a documentary about their start and the healing factors of music.

 



He keeps assuring me that I do not have cancer, and the primary reason for me being there was for a consultation to have a hysterectomy. 


We did have a discussion about family history of cancer, which I must point out is a very strong history. Not only had I lost my sister to cancer, but I knew of a few of my dad’s sisters that had passed from cancer as well. 


During my appointment, the doc was called away from the room and shortly a nurse came in and asked me to reschedule my appointment. Later that evening, the doc called me at home to apologize for having to leave - there was an emergency in the treatment room that needed his attention.  I wasn’t charged for that visit, but he definitely wanted to continue our conversation. 


It turns out that my gyn/onc was not able to perform the robotic hysterectomy. The ports where he needed to place the instrument was exactly where my fibroids were.  But he was not about to just turn me away. He wanted to see if he could help treat the bleeding issues that I had.  He prescribed me a shot that I needed to come in once a month over the course of three months. When I went to schedule the appointments, I was told they had to happen precisely every 30 days, and the nurse had to get clarification from the doc - because each month the dosage was about 3 months worth of medication.  This essentially put a stop to any and all bleeding. 

 

 


Until Next time… 

 

Comments


Recent Posts

Recent Posts Widget

Popular Posts