Treatment Trifecta

 

This post is being written in advance as I am currently gearing up for a trifecta of treatment: Immunotherapy, Radiation, and Chemotherapy 


I’ve prepared this in advance as I wanted to continue to tell my story, yet take time away to concentrate on healing.  


That being said - 


According to the treatment schedule, if all has gone well - I should have had my final chemotherapy treatment this past week.  If not- I’m scheduled for one more treatment in a few weeks. 


So let’s get caught up to date.  


I had a PETScan in June 2024. Once again, all the lymph nodes that were trouble spots previously had cleared up. 


BUT (because there’s always a but in my situation)


This time there are not one, not two, but THREE lymph nodes that lit up along my LEFT collarbone near my esophagus. The placement is very near to the last time that I had naughty lymph nodes on my left collarbone. 


The Medical Oncology team decided that even though I am doing well on Immunotherapy and Radiation is doing a good job playing Whack A Mole with my lymph nodes, they would like to try something new. 


So we’re trying Chemotherapy. The Old Fashioned Kind. Carbol/Taxol. 


I’m not going to lie. I’m a bit nervous about this. With all of the advancements in treatment - why am I having to go the old fashioned route? 


My guess is that this past year, certain cancer medications have become less accessible in the United States.  That’s my reasoning and I’m sticking with it. 


But I am truly worried. My sister had stage IV Colon Cancer in 1995. The only treatment they had available to her was chemotherapy.  After two rounds, she called it quits and decided to let the cancer take her life. She was in terrible pain and was extremely weak. She lost so much weight. I think she weighed maybe 80 pounds when she passed in 1996. 


My oldest brother had Colon Cancer in the mid 2000s. He had access to some advanced treatment - traveled from Spokane Washington to Illinois for his care. And he managed to stick around for over five years. He eventually lost his battle when he caught a cold, and when they did a chest xray - they found the lymph nodes in his lungs full of cancer. Too many to count and too many to combat with treatment. 


One of my other brothers also experienced Colon Cancer. He did chemotherapy, but I believe his treatments were more advanced and targeted. He’s still with us and doing well. It’s been just about eight or nine years for him now, with his cancer in remission. 


I guess I’m just worried about it being the old standard chemo that I will be getting. At least that is the understanding that I have. I pray I am incorrect. 


During the week following my treatments, I will be staying with family members so that they can keep an eye out for me. I should be feeling somewhat better the next two weeks and then do it all over again for rounds two and three. 


After round three, it’s my understanding there will be more scans done and if needed, a possible round four done. After that - it’s anybody’s guess. 


And that brings us all up to date. Stick around - I’ve got more content to share with you…


Plus, you know there’s always a BUT wait there’s more in my cancer story! 


Until next time… 






This week’s #WhenIDieMakeSureMyNailsAreDone 

 

Comments

Enjoyed this post? Never miss out on future posts by FOLLOWING ME

Recent Posts

Recent Posts Widget