Recurrence #3

 

Continuing from a
previous post


By the middle of February 2022, I was feeling great.  Wound Care had discharged me from their care, and I thought for certain that at my next medical oncology appointment, they were going to tell me that I didn’t need to come back for at least 3 months.  Once again, I was wrong. 


At my next medical oncology appointment, Dr Hertado informed me that my PETScan was not clean. The radiation that was done in 2022 DID do its job and removed the cancer cells from the cervix.  However… I had new areas lighting up on the scan.


Dr Hertado informed me that I would need to have a biopsy done on a spot on the back of my lower left lung as well as a spot near my tailbone. 


Of course, they needed labs done before the biopsy. Given that I have terrible veins, it was a struggle to get a draw done. Finally, the lab tech at the hospital was able to fill 2 syringes with blood - but when she went to transfer the first one, she dropped it on the floor and blood splattered everywhere! She managed to get enough blood from the second syringe for the tests she needed to run. 


The biopsies were incredibly painful, and the blood pressure cuff had slipped to a very uncomfortable place on my arm. The nurse refused to adjust the cuff to a more comfortable place. Needless to say, she heard an increased vocabulary from me every time the cuff filled with air. 


After the biopsies were done, I was informed that I needed to ‘rest’ for a few moments because they were to do another test of some sort (probably a scan but for some reason I forget what was done)


I had just started to relax when in walks another lab tech. Apparently, the tech didn't get my vials to the lab soon enough and my blood had coagulated. I told her that I wished her well, and informed her I was a tough stick and I have a no fishing policy. I had already been through enough pain for the day and was not about to let it continue.  Thankfully, she was a bit more skilled and was able to get an easy draw from me. 


After the draw, I went to my happy place. And that scared the nurses. See, when I go to my happy place, my heart rate drops and my breathing becomes very shallow. For me, it’s complete bliss - but the nurses don’t like it one bit. 


The results of the biopsies came back and Dr Hertado’s office called to tell me that I was being scheduled for a medical port, and 2 weeks later, I was to come see him in his office. 


It was in this appointment that Dr Hertado told me that the spot on my tailbone was basically nothing, but the spot on my lung needed to be treated. The reason for the medical port was because I would be starting immunotherapy, which consists of Pembro (Keytruda) infusion every three weeks and Lenvima, a daily pill. 


An hour long appointment with the Oncology Pharmacy going over all the do’s and don’ts and side effects let me know that I was in for quite an adventure.  Then, an outside Oncology Pharmacy called me and we went over it all again. They would FedEx the Lenvima every few weeks, until I was taken off the drug.


What is Immunotherapy?


Wikipedia tells us this:

Pembrolizumab, sold under the brand name Keytruda, is a humanized antibody used in cancer immunotherapy that treats melanoma, lung cancer, head and neck cancer, Hodgkin lymphoma, stomach cancer, cervical cancer, and certain types of breast cancer. It is administered by slow intravenous injection.

Common side effects include fatigue, musculoskeletal pain, decreased appetite, itchy skin (pruritus), diarrhea, nausea, rash, fever (pyrexia), cough, difficulty breathing (dyspnea), constipation, pain, and abdominal pain. It is an IgG4 isotype antibody that blocks a protective mechanism of cancer cells, allowing the immune system to destroy them. It targets the programmed cell death protein 1 (PD-1) receptor of lymphocytes.


And so it began… and then, in true fashion, Dr Hertado decided he didn’t care much for Idaho winters and returned home to Florida. 


Until next time… 



 


This week’s #WhenIDieMakeSureMyNailsAreDone 

 

Comments

  1. You wouldn't believe how many times I'd have interrupted this conversation - Wouldn't adjust your cuff? Out of here! So sorry about having to have a port. I hope your experience is much better than a couple of friends of mine. Still, kinda worth it in the long run, to get the medicine where it needs to go.
    I'm quite sure I wouldn't like winter in Idaho either. We visited friends in Nampa, years ago, and drove up to McCall (gorgeous!) and went whitewater rafting on the Snake River. Having lived in Arizona (where they met us), and being glad to leave the heat, our Nampa friends love winters in Idaho and invited us to come see. We never got around to it.
    I hope Dr. Hurtado gets scared back to Idaho by a Florida Gator! ;-) LOVE that purple polish!
    Until again, keep thinking good thoughts.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments! Did you know that comments that are less than 8 words long are considered spam? So, don't hold back! Spill yer guts. Let me know you stopped by and let me know what you liked about the post, or what you didn't like. If you are a blogger, be sure to include a link to your blog, so that I can easily reciprocate.

Enjoyed this post? Never miss out on future posts by FOLLOWING ME

Recent Posts

Recent Posts Widget