The Waiting Is The Hardest Part

 

While I am telling you my story here, I should inform you that I started chemotherapy this week. Because of this, my thoughts are a little bit scattered. 


I think I’m going to interrupt my story for just a moment to share with you a post or two written by my good friend, Cindy Holder Poole. Cindy was a classmate of mine who had Metastatic Breast cancer and stage IV Neuroendocrine cancer.  She was a mighty warrior who offered so much strength and support to others going through their cancer battles. 


She didn’t allow cancer to keep her down. She went on hikes. Not just little day hikes. We’re talking hundreds of miles hikes. Globally. She was and still is such an inspiration to me, and even though she lost her battle last year, her example keeps me going through my toughest of days. 


Because I’m also a lover of music, I thought this post was a good start.





 

𝗧𝗢𝗠 𝗣𝗘𝗧𝗧𝗬⁣

𝗦𝗮𝗶𝗱 𝗶𝘁 𝗯𝗲𝘀𝘁......𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗪𝗮𝗶𝘁𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗶𝘀 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗛𝗮𝗿𝗱𝗲𝘀𝘁 𝗣𝗮𝗿𝘁!!⁣

Making initial appointments, referrals, blood tests, scans, tumor boards, waiting for the results or recommendations can be downright excruciating!⁣

There are times in our disease journey where making future plans to enjoy life can be nearly impossible with uncertainty weighing heavily on our souls. How to cope?⁣

Sometimes giving in to a decent pity party can actually be helpful!! Let the depression linger, feel all the feels! Ours is a difficult journey with many starts, stops, and unexpected interruptions. A little self-pity is hard-earned! Indulge. ⁣

But use caution....⁣

Do not let that self pity become a bad habit. ⁣

Shorten your time horizon and alter plans to fit your current circumstances. Instead of planning a hundred-mile hike in three months it may be more prudent to plan a long walk. That long walk may become a goal for this week or this month. Perhaps a more realistic goal for times of recovery would be daily movement with no distance requirement. As far as physical goals during times of more intense treatment and recovery are concerned, we cancer patients should definitely involve the advice of our physicians and/or physical therapists. ⁣

There is an ebb and flow to life, and most definitely to life with cancer or other chronic illnesses. A time to plan bucket list activities and a time to plan smaller, achievable activities.⁣

So....⁣

While waiting may be the hardest part, we can allow ourselves a bit of indulgence but get back into the game of life with achievable, meaningful things to enjoy!⁣



Until next time… 






This week’s #WhenIDieMakeSureMyNailsAreDone 


Comments

  1. A good cry is the next best thing to a storm that spawns a rainbow with the promise of sunshine tomorrow. Hugs to you, Mary.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments! Did you know that comments that are less than 8 words long are considered spam? So, don't hold back! Spill yer guts. Let me know you stopped by and let me know what you liked about the post, or what you didn't like. If you are a blogger, be sure to include a link to your blog, so that I can easily reciprocate.

Enjoyed this post? Never miss out on future posts by FOLLOWING ME

Recent Posts

Recent Posts Widget