Ring! Ring!

 

 

Me: Hello?

Caller: I fall down. Go Boom!

Me: I beg your pardon?

Caller: I fall down. Go Boom!

Me: Do you want me to call your wife for you?

Caller: I. FALL DOWN! GO BOOM!

Me: Do you want me to call your mommy and have her come kiss your boo-boo?

Caller (holding back a snicker): I. FALL DOWN! GO BOOM!

Me: Do you want to tell me all about it? What exactly happened?

Caller: I slipped on black ice on the top step of my porch. I. FALL DOWN! GO BOOM! Woke up at bottom of steps spread eagle.

Me: Did anyone see this glorious display of grace?

Caller (sounding sad): Yes

Me: Did they come to your rescue?

Caller: Once they stopped laughing, yes. It was my neighbor across the street. He was shoveling the snow from his sidewalk when he saw me go down. He helped me up and then drove me to the Emergency Room. 

Me: That sounds pretty dire. Is everything alright?  

Caller: I hurt my pride.

Me: I don’t think they can fix that in the Emergency Room.

Caller: Oh yeah - I also bruised my ribs.


A month later:

 

Caller: I’m dying.

Me: We’re all dying. No one gets to leave this earth alive. It’s called the circle of life.

Caller: But I’m really dying!

Me: Are you telling me that you are dying at a faster rate than the rest of us?

Caller: Yes!


The caller was my oldest brother. He’s 10 years older than me. He has ALWAYS been my favorite oldest brother. When I was a very young girl, he and my brother just younger than him joined the Army. The Vietnam War was almost over. Whenever he would come home on leave, he would pick me up and twirl me around.  These are probably my most favorite memories.


I forget exactly what year it was when he called to tell me that he was dying. He managed to fight his colon cancer for about 5 years before he lost his battle. It was mid February 2013 when he called to tell me that his scans all came back clear. About 2 weeks later, he called to tell me that his doctor estimated he only had about 4 weeks left.  My brother had picked up a cold and gone in for a chest xray. His lungs were filled with cancer - too many to treat. 


I messaged my supervisor to let her know that I needed some time off from work. I was bound and determined to go see my brother before he passed. I had a major confession to make to him before he died. My supervisor said she wouldnt be able to approve my time off. I told her to write me up because come hell or high water, I was going. 


My last visit with my brother was very special. He had his hospital bed set up in the front room of his house. He scooted over on the bed and had me sit next to him on the bed. He pulled me in closer for a hug.


Me: I have a confession to make

Brother: What?!?

Me: Remember when you were in high school, and I wasn't old enough to go to school yet?

Brother: Yes

Me: And do you remember you used to keep your stash of Hershey’s candy bars in a lunchbox under your bed?

Brother: Yes. 

Me: It was me. I was the one that raided your stash on the regular and would leave the wrappers behind for you.

Brother: I knew it was you. That’s why I kept replenishing the stash. I love you.

Me: I love you too. I’m going to miss our phone calls and the teasing.

Brother: I promise I’ll be watching over you from above.


I started tearing up - but saved my big ugly cry for a moment when I was alone. I felt that I needed to show my brother that I was strong enough to get through this. 


Two weeks later - March 24, 2013 - my oldest brother passed away from metastatic colon cancer complicated with diabetes. 


Until Next time… 



Comments


Recent Posts

Recent Posts Widget

Popular Posts