D&C and UAE

 

In 2014, I was finally able to have the hysteroscopy done. In fact, I had 4 of them done, with a D&C.   


From mayoclinic.org:

Dilation and curettage (D&C) is a procedure to remove tissue from inside your uterus. Health care professionals perform dilation and curettage to diagnose and treat certain uterine conditions — such as heavy bleeding — or to clear the uterine lining after a miscarriage or abortion.

In a dilation and curettage, small instruments or a medication is used to open (dilate) the lower, narrow part of your uterus (cervix). Next, a surgical instrument called a curette, which can be a sharp instrument or suction device, is used to remove uterine tissue.

At the end of April 2014, I was bleeding heavily again. To the point that I could not make any movement without gushing.  I was working from home, and it was the middle of the day, so I called my primary care doctor. I asked - how much bleeding is too much bleeding before one should become concerned.  The poor male receptionist had to relay information back and forth from the medical assistant and myself. He suggested I come in right away. I explained that I couldn't move without gushing and practically leaving a trail everywhere I went. I was then told to get to the Emergency Room ASAP.

My boyfriend was sleeping in the next room. He worked the graveyard shift. I messaged my supervisor and informed her I was clocking out early to go to the hospital.  I got to the hospital, and they bumped me to the front of the line - but then I spent the next 10 hours in the emergency room waiting for a room to be made ready for me. By this time, my boyfriend had to go to work and there wasn't anything for him to do, so I let him go. 

I was in the hospital for about a week. During my stay, I was given 7 units of blood. Also, the IR Doc with the vowel-name issue stopped in to see me. He remembered me from my consultation the year prior.  Because I was actively bleeding, he said I could have the UAE done during my stay. 

The IR Doc explained the risks, one of which was that there was a possibility of a stray particle causing issues. The procedure was successful, but I do have a side effect - my right groin sweats more than usual. 

My gyn/onc informed me that I had lost so much blood that he believed I had suffered a minor heart attack. So he referred me to a cardiologist. 

He also instructed me to take the rest of the month off from work so that my body had a chance to regain strength. 


Until Next time… 




Comments


Recent Posts

Recent Posts Widget

Popular Posts