The Felons in my life

 

Just a quick note before we get started. If you haven't received your confirmation email when subscribing, search your spam inbox or trash... it will be coming from confirmations@madmimi.com Hope this helps!
 

Today’s post doesn't have anything to do with medical, but it is part of my story.


Shortly after my graduation from high school, I was tasked with contacting other young adults in the area to invite them out to activities and events. This task lasted until that fall when I started college courses. The list of names and numbers were of those who were considered to be inactive in the group. I was to encourage them to come out and join in the fun. This was all long before cell phones, so I used my parents landline to complete the task. I was often hung up on, cursed at, or they simply did not answer the phone.  One name and number has stood out to me, as for one, I thought his name was pretty cool.  But just because you have a cool name, doesn’t necessarily mean you are a good person. A quick google search will tell his story - but suffice it to say, about 4 years later he was convicted as a serial killer - 3 confirmed deaths plus another 4 that he was prime suspect for - the earliest being less than a year after all those calls I made to his number.  You can read about his delightful life here


I believe it was in either 1985 or 1986, but according to the case files it was apparently 1987 - I was dating a really nice guy. His mother was a single mother, and she worked at the local college in their home town.  One day, he got a call and he immediately quit his job, packed his belonging and moved home to support his mother. He never stated why he was leaving, but it was all over the news very quickly. His younger brother was strung out on coke and done something very stupid.  You cannot use an Insanity Plea in the state of Idaho, but you can read the appeal case where he tried. 


Again, 1987...

I worked for a major soda bottling company. I won't say which one, even though they've changed locations and a few decades later. Anyhoo... I was the only female working the night shift. My office was behind locked doors and there was a small window between myself and the warehouse. These guys were pretty... Uh... Dumb... For lack of a better term. It just didn't click in their tiny little brains that I was the one answering the phone every time their wife called. One guy would constantly interrupt my work trying to get me to join him for steak and lobster. Of course I declined. And then one day he didn't show up to work. He did show up on the evening news. In a coke filled rage, he had killed his wife, taken her to a wooded area and buried her in trash. He left their baby in the crib. His mother in law came to do the daily care taking when she noticed something was amiss and called the police. Luckily, he remembered exactly where he put the body and was able to show the police.


I believe it was in 1991 when I was dating another ‘nice guy'. I was good friends with his mother and I knew his dad well.  One day his mother called me at work and asked that I come visit when I got off work for the day. Of course I obliged.  She asked me if I noticed that I had been followed for a few weeks. Nope. I was completely oblivious. Not to worry she said, I wasn't being followed for my sake, but because of her son.  Federal Marshals had been following him, tracking his movements before they made their arrest that morning.  They made sure he was alone, not with me, not with his parents, and not with his employer.  I won't go into much detail of his crime, but he was extradited to another state where his crime took place.  I kept in touch with him while he did his time, but we split soon after he returned home.  I did some online snooping a few years ago and learned that he had moved to Alaska. There was a small paragraph in his new local paper that said he had been found unconscious outside his residence and that his mother was coming to claim the body. 

 

Remember friends.... Drugs are bad, mmmkay?  And just because life seems a bit hard at the moment, there is always something positive to find in each day. Find that positive and focus!



Until Next time… 

Comments

  1. What a colorful story! How can one person have had the pleasure of either meeting or being involved with people with such a wild history of bad stuff? You must be lucky is all I can say. lol Thanks for sharing, Mary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did forget to include my former housekeeper. She's doing time for killing her boyfriend. I consider myself lucky to have managed so far unscathed.

      Delete
  2. I could have sworn I left a comment here a few days ago...Spam folder? Or, I forgot to press publish. Anyway, you certainly were lucky to escape harm, given all the felons you knew. Fascinating memoir, Mary!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments! Did you know that comments that are less than 8 words long are considered spam? So, don't hold back! Spill yer guts. Let me know you stopped by and let me know what you liked about the post, or what you didn't like. If you are a blogger, be sure to include a link to your blog, so that I can easily reciprocate.


Recent Posts

Recent Posts Widget

Popular Posts